All schools in District 76 are implementing PBIS as an effective and proactive means for improving social competencies and academic achievement. Diamond Lake School District 76 began training staff in January, 2014. This was the starting point for our teacher lead PBIS committee.
The PBIS initiatives focus on: Be Safe, Be Respectful, and Be Responsible. These elements have been broken down to specific environments in the school. The classrooms were our first targets. We are just beginning the hallways this week. Here are a few HIP tips we talked about. Try talking about these at home.
- Walk (Safe)
- Use materials for their purpose (Safe)
- Take care of classroom materials (Respect)
- Listen and follow directions from adult (Respect)
- Take turns listening and speaking (Respect)
- Stay in your personal space and keep hands and objects to self (Safe)
- Be an active participant (Responsible)
- Keep classroom clean (Responsible)
- Come prepared and complete assignments on time (Responsible)
School celebrations for PBIS will occur at a variety of times. Many will be surprises for students. Our cookie decorating was a huge success. Dietary restrictions were taken into account.